Bacteria that causes Legionnaires’ disease found in swimming pool
Posted: June 3, 2013
Posted in: Gym & Leisure Centre Injuries Public Place Accidents
After routine checks were recently carried out at the public swimming pool in Swindon – lethal bacteria has been discovered in the showers.
Legionnaires’ disease is a bacterial disease which can cause pneumonia and lung infections. The bacteria which causes this illness – legionella pneumophila – can be found in both natural and man-made water systems with symptoms that can take up to ten days to surface. Legionnaires’ disease was first recognised after there was a serious outbreak at an American Legion Convention in Philadelphia in 1976 – hence the name it has today.
Dangerously high levels
The Link Centre is a leisure centre in the heart of Swindon with many people coming to use its facilities on a daily basis. It is noted as one of the country’s largest centres, containing the only ice rink in Wiltshire. After routine checks were carried out, dangerously high levels of the bacteria were found in the shower block.
Swindon Borough Council said: “health of centre users had not been put at risk” as temporary shower facilities have now been installed while the problem is resolved. No other water supplies – including toilets, taps and the swimming pool – have been affected by the problem and due to the bacteria being caught at such an early stage there should be no surrounding health issues.
The council are carrying out an investigation as to why the levels of bacteria were “higher than normal” through employing specialist contractors to get to the bottom of the problem.
« Needed transformation in fire service
Kayak race verged on tragedy »