Care home fined following radiator death
Posted: January 25, 2015
Posted in: Leg Injuries Medical Negligence Wrongful & Accidental Death
A care home in Leicester has been fined after one of its residents died after becoming trapped between a wardrobe and a radiator. The Western Park View home is being fined £100,000 after 85-year-old Walter Powley died of severe burns. The accident happened after Mr Powley fell, causing him to get trapped between a wardrobe and a radiator, where the piping and valves were uncovered. He died in hospital eight days after the accident.
During a hearing at Leicester Crown Court, based in Wolverhampton, Western Park Leicester pleaded guilty to safety breaches. It was heard that Mr Powley had only been admitted to the home four days before he fell, and was also at high risk of falling. The firm was ordered to pay £35,000 in costs.
“Foreseeable and preventable fatal incident”
In a statement, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said that he had fallen in his room and suffered severe burns to his right leg from the radiator’s pipes and superficial burns to both of his legs.
HSE inspector Dr Richenda Dixon said: “This was a foreseeable and preventable fatal incident. The scalding or burning risks from the pipes were long-standing and could have caused injury to any resident.”
A statement on behalf of Mr Powley’s family said that they were “devastated” by what happened and described the poor care he received as “heart-breaking”.
« Prisoner’s cancer care criticised
Lollipop lady receives seven-figure settlement »