Hospital chiefs apologise over failed operation
Posted: August 30, 2015
Posted in: Medical Negligence
George Eliot Hospital chiefs have apologised to a patient after she was left with third degree burns to her breast following surgery. 31-year-old Stephanie Austin suffered the injuries during a major breast duct excision, an operation to remove the end of all milk ducts to find out what was causing her discomfort and discharge. Ms Austin said that the mistakes have left her with permanent scarring, and claims that no apology was offered following the operation.
It was heard that the procedure involved a diathermy rod, a metal instrument that uses an electric current to produce heat, being inserted into the nipple to cut through the soft tissue in the breast. However, it was uncovered following the operation that the equipment was set up incorrectly. It was found that the rod had been plugged into the wrong socket, meant for foot-activated forceps, which in turn burnt her skin due to the high current. The burn has left her with permanent scarring five-inches away from the original place of surgery.
Settled her claim out of court
Ms Austin said: “The scarring that I’ve been left with is really obvious, and has really affected my confidence which is something that I will have to deal with for the rest of my life.”
Hospital bosses admitted to medical negligence and settled her claim out of court.
If you have been affected by medical negligence, and are looking to claim compensation, please contact us.
« Paramedics failed to recognise skull fractures
Injured war veterans’ care costs spark call for funding »