Man killed in care home fire
Posted: March 2, 2016
Posted in: Public Place Accidents Wrongful & Accidental Death
Following a 999 call to Derbyshire Police at around 1300 hours on Monday, an investigation into the death of a 60-year-old man is being carried out on behalf of the coroner. The fire service was called to the Sherwood Forest Care Home in Derby after a patient at the home was found burning to death in his wheelchair outside the building. The investigation has revealed that the man probably caught fire due to “discarded smoking materials” at the home. It is understood that the resident had gone outside to have a cigarette in his wheelchair shortly before being found alight. It is thought that there are no suspicious circumstances of the incident.
“monitoring the situation closely”
The care home, which is run by Embrace Group Ltd, said: “Our deepest sympathies are with the resident’s family and loved ones”. They went on to say: “Whilst an investigation is ongoing, it would not be appropriate to comment further”.
Care home regulatory body, the Care Quality Commission (CQC), was reported to be “monitoring this situation closely”. A spokeswoman for the CQC stated that the Commission is “working closely” with local authorities and police to hear the outcome of investigations being carried out in relation to the death. The spokeswoman added: “We are monitoring this situation closely, and we will take any action necessary should this be required to ensure the welfare and safety of people who use services”.
« Chairman resigns over cuts
Paramedic guilty of misconduct »